Sunday, February 27, 2011

Greetings from uganda

Ok so I only have 7 minutes left of internet so excuse the mess!!! Mwazuze Mutyanno basebbo ne bannyabo!!! (goodmorning ladies and gentleman!)

I am learning Lango which they speak in northern uganda very similar to acholi.  It is a post conflict zone that is still suffering from the war effects the LRA caused.  If you want an idea of what some of these kids may have experienced I would suggest watching a documentary called War Dance that we were shown here one night.

So we were stuck on a compound for 2 weeks but elections went smoothly and we moved in with our homestay families yesterday.  I am next door to 2 other trainees so we are slowly getting out of muzungu (white person) ways.

Things i love about uganda:  tea time! (we get it inbetween meals with snacks)  The weather most of the day (it is always sunny and when it is hot it is a dry heat but doesn't get above 85) fresh food, waking up to roosters, all my trainees (44 strong still!) 

Things I don't like so much... all the dust (its the dry season and you can't breathe very well)  boda boda drivers (motorcycle taxis that almost take your arms off and her pretty brash)  and being the center of attention.... let me explain i went to church with my family this mroning... by the time I WALKED 15 MINUTES HOME my trainee neighbor dylan had heard i was there from his family and asked me how it was.... yeah we are not in kansas anymore.


so before they cut me off i miss everyone!!!! uganda is great and i mostly love it xoxoxooxoxoxoox

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Sound amazing. I gotta watch that movie and find out what LRA is... love you :)

    ReplyDelete