Friday, November 12, 2010

That's awesome vs. Are you crazy....

So I told you all that I would set up a blog in order to keep everyone at home informed about my new life in Uganda.  I'm new to this whole blog thing so I will try my best to make them as entertaining and informational as possible!  So here is my first crack at it.

For those of you who don't know yet, yes I got an invitation in the mail on Wednesday inviting me to be a secondary school teacher/ teacher trainer in Uganda from February 2011- April 2013.  When talking to everyone about joining peace corps in Africa befor getting my invitation, I usually got one of two responses.

1. "That is amazing, what an awesome experience that will be for you!"
2." Are you out of your F*$%&!@ mind!!!!!  What would possess you to do such a thing!!"

Well personally, I think both are true!  Yes I realize that it is a little crazy to give up my very secure job, my cozy little lifestyle, brand new car, and eeekkk indoor plumbing.... to live in some random rural ugandan village for the next two years.  But I couldn't be any more pumped!  Sure there will be countless challenges that I can't even begin to get into at this point, but if I find the resiliance to overcome them the rewards will far outweigh them.  I am excited to learn how to live like the majority of the world lives.  I feel very fortunate to have been born in America, where I take hot showers, refrigerators, constant internet access and a 711 on every corner for granted (I will miss you taquitos...)!  I plan on subscribing to what I like to call the "F*%$  IT DIET" until I leave because two years without a cheeseburger or salt&vinegar and chips is going to be very depressing!  I am nervous and I don't want to make too many assumptions about Uganda until I get there but I look forward to an experience that will hopefully form me into the best version of myself and give me some incredible memories for the future.


It won't be the most glamourous lifestyle and I'm sure some of you will be getting calls/mail with me complaining as that is one of my favorite hobbies sometimes, but I feel blessed to have my family and friends here supporting me and I can't wait to write you all more once I get there to let you in on this CRAZY, AMAZING, TERRIFYING, INSANE, EXCITING and CHALLENGING adventure I am about to begin.

Until next time.

Nik

No comments:

Post a Comment